7:30pm, 26th May 2022 - 8:30pm, 26th May 2022
Dr Lillian Fawcett
$50.00 Members | $60.00 Non-Members | $45.00 Specialist Teacher
Registration closes at 9:00am, 26th May 2022
Analysing and Correcting Spelling Errors
If we truly want students to learn from their spelling mistakes, correcting errors should be more than writing the correct spelling of the word over the top of the error.
This session examines the skills used by a competent speller – phonological awareness, phonic knowledge, a knowledge of spelling convention and patterns, syntax and morphology, semantics and etymology and memory and metacognitive skills. The types of mistakes made by spellers indicating a weakness in each of these areas are discussed.
Participants will then use this knowledge to analyse the spelling errors made by actual students to determine:
- Why did the students spell the word like that?
- What is the source of their confusion?
- How can we help the students identify the point of error and then remember the correct spelling?
Dr Lillian Fawcett is a specialist literacy teacher with over 25 years of experience and university qualifications in education and psychology. She has developed a range of spelling and reading programs based on well-research literacy acquisition and memory retention principles which has enabled her to successfully help hundreds of students improve their literacy skills. Numerous teachers and schools throughout Australia are currently using Lillian’s evidence-based Cracking the ABC Code programs.
Schools can Register their Teachers using the Workshop Registration Form below. Payment can be via credit card (preferred) or Invoice.
Please note this workshop will be delivered online through the platform, Zoom. You will receive any handouts, together with the Zoom workshop link via email on the morning of Thursday, 26 May 2022. If you have not received an email by 12:00pm on Thursday, please check your junk mail before contacting the office.
IMPORTANT: Please ensure you have Zoom downloaded and updated prior to the workshop start time. This is a LIVE event only and will not be recorded.
- Payment is required prior to the date of the Professional Development Workshop in order to secure attendance and is not refundable.
- For information on our Cancellation and Transfer Policy, please click here.
- This workshop contributes to the 10 Queensland College of Teachers continuing Professional Development Requirements. You will receive a certificate on the day after the event.
- Certificates will not be issued to participants if a School / Organisation has not finalised payment by the day of the Workshop. Once payment has been finalised, the certificate will be emailed to the participant.