9:00am, 31st Aug 2020 - 2:30pm, 31st Aug 2020
Speld Qld, 141 Merton Road, Woolloongabba, Qld, 4102
$200.00 Members | $250.00 Non-Members
Registration closes at 12:00pm, 28th Aug 2020
Assistive Technology Workshop: Using the iPad to help students with Learning Differences
What is Assistive Technology?
Assistive Technology (AT) is the hardware and software used by a student with Learning Differences which enables them to achieve their potential and beyond.
Who benefits from Assistive Technology?
Assistive Technology (AT) benefits individuals with Learning Differences such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyspraxia, memory difficulties, language disorders and auditory processing disorder. AT lightens the load for students with Learning Differences and those who support them.
This workshop explores what assistive technology is and how it can bring independence, confidence and joy to learning. Practical tips and strategies are provided relating to how best to use iPads to effectively support those with learning differences.
- What is Assistive Technology (AT) and what are the main types of AT
- Assistive Technology Choices
- Why use the Apple iPad?
- iPad essentials
- Useful settings tips
- Finding free accessibility support
- Office 365 and GSuite
- Using assistive technology to assist with the writing process
- Digital Graphic Organisers
- AT Tools for planning writing tasks
- AT Tools which Aid Comprehension
- Writing support programs
- Apps to assist with presentation of work
- Optical Character Recognition
- Apps to assist with reading and interacting with texts
- Touch Typing
- Audiobooks and Ebooks
- Reading Pens
- Key Assistive Technology Links
You are welcome to bring your iPad though it is not essential.
Teresa Daniel is a Speech Pathologist with 23 years experience working with children with learning differences. She has a Graduate Certificate in Inclusive Education specialising in Literacy and Social and Emotional Behaviour. Teresa has worked extensively with students, parents and educational staff in the areas of language and literacy and regularly presents professional education to teachers and parents.
Schools can Register their Teachers using the Workshop Registration Form below. Payment can be via credit card (preferred) or Invoice.
- Payment is required prior to the date of the Professional Development Workshop in order to secure attendance and is not refundable.
- For information on our Cancellation and Transfer Policy, please click here.
- This workshop contributes to the 10 Queensland College of Teachers continuing Professional Development Requirements. You will receive a certificate on the day of event.
- Certificates will not be issued to participants if a School / Organisation has not finalised payment by the day of the Workshop. Once payment has been finalised, the certificate will be emailed to the participant.