9:00am, 26th Oct 2020 - 2:30pm, 26th Oct 2020
Online (via Zoom)
$0.00 Members | $250.00 Non-Members | $0.00 Specialist Teacher
Assistive Technology Workshop: Using the PC/Laptop to assist students with Learning Differences
What is Assistive Technology?
Assistive Technology (AT) is the hardware and software used by a student with Learning Differences which enables them to achieve their potential and beyond.
Who benefits from Assistive Technology?
Assistive Technology (AT) benefits individuals with Learning Differences such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyspraxia, memory difficulties, language disorders and auditory processing disorder. AT lightens the load for students with Learning Differences and those who support them.
This workshop explores what assistive technology is and how it can bring independence, confidence and joy to learning. Please note that this workshop has a PC/Laptop focus.
Some of the topics explored will include:
- What is Assistive Technology (AT)?
- What are the main types of AT?
- Assistive Technology Choices
- Useful settings and tips
- Finding free accessibility support
- Office 365 and G Suite
- Using assistive technology to assist with the writing process
- Digital Graphic Organisers
- AT tools for planning writing tasks
- AT tools which aid comprehension
- Writing support programs
- Spelling and grammar support
- AT tools assist with presentation of work
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR) tools
- Tools to assist with reading and interacting with texts
- Touch typing
- Audiobooks and E-Books
- Helpful AT maths tools
- Reading Pens
- Key assistive technology links
You are welcome to bring your Laptop though it is not essential.
Teresa Daniel is a Speech Pathologist with 23 years experience working with children with learning differences. She has a Graduate Certificate in Inclusive Education specialising in Literacy and Social and Emotional Behaviour. Teresa has worked extensively with students, parents and educational staff in the areas of language and literacy and regularly presents professional education to teachers and parents.
Schools can Register their Teachers using the Workshop Registration Form below. Payment can be via credit card (preferred) or Invoice.
- Payment is required prior to the date of the Professional Development Workshop in order to secure attendance and is not refundable.
- For information on our Cancellation and Transfer Policy, please click here.
- This workshop contributes to the 10 Queensland College of Teachers continuing Professional Development Requirements. You will receive a certificate on the day of event.
- Certificates will not be issued to participants if a School / Organisation has not finalised payment by the day of the Workshop. Once payment has been finalised, the certificate will be emailed to the participant.