7:00pm, 30th Jul 2020 - 9:15pm, 30th Jul 2020
Dr Lillian Fawcett
$52.00 Members | $65.00 Non-Members
The research indicates that there are three key components to reading comprehension – the ability to decode, an understanding of the vocabulary and background knowledge. Underpinning these factors are working memory and oral language skills.
In this workshop, Dr Lillian Fawcett will explore:
- The current research around comprehension.
- The pre-requisites of comprehending text and the importance of each of these factors.
- The influence of working memory and oral language skills.
- Specific activities and strategies that can be used to develop comprehension – decoding, vocabulary development, background knowledge and question types.
- Reading assessment data and how it should be interpreted.
Please note this workshop will be delivered online through the platform, Zoom. You will receive the handouts, together with the Zoom workshop link via email on the evening of Tuesday, 28 July 2020. If you have not received an email by Wednesday, please check your junk mail. This link is to be used solely by the registrant only and is not transferable.
IMPORTANT: Please ensure you have Zoom downloaded and updated prior to the workshop start time.
Dr Lillian Fawcett is a specialist literacy teacher with over 25 years of experience and university qualifications in education and psychology. She has developed a range of spelling and reading programs based on well-research literacy acquisition and memory retention principles which has enabled her to successfully help hundreds of students improve their literacy skills. Numerous teachers and schools throughout Australia are currently using Lillian’s evidence-based Cracking the ABC Code programs.
Schools can Register their Teachers using the Workshop Registration Form below. Payment can be via credit card (preferred) or Invoice.
- Payment is required prior to the date of the Professional Development Workshop in order to secure attendance and is not refundable.
- For information on our Cancellation and Transfer Policy, please click here.
- This workshop contributes to the 10 Queensland College of Teachers continuing Professional Development Requirements. You will receive a certificate on the day of event.
- Certificates will not be issued to participants if a School / Organisation has not finalised payment by the day of the Workshop. Once payment has been finalised, the certificate will be emailed to the participant.