1:00pm, 12th Feb 2024 - 1:00pm, 12th Feb 2024 1:00pm, 12th Feb 2024 - 1:00pm, 24th Mar 2024
Facilitated by DSF Literacy Services (WA)
$1089.00 Members | $1155.00 Non-Members | $1089.00 Specialist Teacher
Registration closes at 9:00am, 1st Feb 2024
What is Sounds-Write?
Sounds-Write is an evidence-based phonics program utilising an exciting and highly successful approach to the teaching of reading, spelling and writing.
This six week online course offers an instructional method that is structured, cumulative, sequential and explicit; all of which are strongly recommended for teaching children to read and spell.
It places emphasis on providing practice that is grounded in physical, concrete experience of the skills and conceptual understanding that students need to assimilate.
Sounds-Write is developmentally appropriate for beginning readers in foundation, Year 1 and Year 2, and also offers fast and highly effective intervention for children at all year levels who have fallen behind in their reading and spelling from Year 3 onwards.
The online practitioner course runs for six weeks (with four weeks of content) and will be monitored by experienced Sounds-Write trainers.
Participants receive the same materials and information as the face-to-face workshop option, with additional videos and reflections that can be reviewed throughout the month. You will also be part of a group that progresses together and stays in touch via virtual community forums which are supported and facilitated by Sounds-Write trainers.
Structure of the course and time commitment
Week 0 (approximately 2 hours of work): This is mainly to enable you to find your way around the platform, introduce yourself and meet your trainer and other trainees. The course includes a discussion forum where you will be able to ask questions, and where you will contribute to some course discussions.
Weeks 1-4 (approximately 8-12 hours of work per week): Each week will be made available on a consecutive Saturday. You will have to cover the content of that week during that week, as the following Saturday the new week’s content will be available, and you will have to move on to that new content. You will also need to complete all the assessment tasks for each week by the end of that week.
Week 5 (approximately 2 hours of work): this week has no formal new content, but you will be able to revisit anything in the course before the course closes. At the end of week 5, the course website will close and you will no longer have access to the online course.
- During weeks 1 to 5, there will be weekly online sessions using the Zoom platform.
- These sessions will be organised by the different trainers on the course.
- These will take the form of a live Q&A, and also provide the opportunity to consolidate your understanding.
- For those who cannot attend the live sessions, these will be recorded and made available to all during the course.
- You will receive information about the date and time for these sessions, and joining instructions, closer to the time. The information will be posted in the course discussion forum.
How to register:
1. Online: Click the green 'Register Now' button below to book and pay online. (Instant confirmation but please allow 2 business days for your Tax Invoice to be emailed)
- Online registration is required so participant details are captured for the enrollment and course reminder database.
- If your school cannot pay online, please call our Accounts Team during business hours to discuss your individual circumstances.
- You may be contacted to confirm your postal address for your course materials. Please ensure an up-to-date email address has been provided.
1. Member rate; must be logged in with credentials to receive discount.
2. Payment is required at the time of booking to confirm your registration and is non-refundable.
3. If you are unable to attend, you may:
3.a. Opt for a Credit Note for a future course. 14 days notice is required.
3.b. Transfer your ticket to another person. 7 days notice required.
4. Non-attendance will incur the full registration fee.
5. Speld Qld reserves the right to cancel or reschedule an event if minimum numbers (as determined by us) are not met, or if the presenters are unavailable. You may choose to transfer to another event, send another attendee in your place or receive a refund.
Register Now 15 places left