9:00am, 19th Mar 2024 - 3:30pm, 19th Mar 2024 9:00am, 20th Mar 2024 - 3:30pm, 20th Mar 2024 9:00am, 21st Mar 2024 - 3:30pm, 21st Mar 2024 9:00am, 22nd Mar 2024 - 3:30pm, 22nd Mar 2024
Rockhampton - Department of Education 4/209 Bolsover St, Rockhampton 4700
$1089.00 Members | $1155.00 Non-Members | $1089.00 Specialist Teacher
What is Sounds-Write?
Sounds-Write is an expertly structured synthetic phonics programme based on the science of reading. It is a multisensory, code-oriented, comprehensive approach to literacy instruction.
Sounds-Write teaches the skills, concepts and code knowledge necessary to teach children to read and spell from Prep to Y6, and can also be used in intervention settings at any age.
Sounds-Write teaches the complete code (175+ of the most common spellings of the 44 or so sounds in English) through our Initial Code and our Extended Code. We also teach students to read and write polysyllabic words.
The course includes a robust rationale for linguistic phonics and covers the theoretical underpinnings of the programme, as well as lesson demonstrations, practical activities and guidance for implementation in your setting.
Your face-to-face experience will be with a small cohort of trainees (up to 24) so that your trainer is able to get to know you, giving you bespoke feedback on your practice and answering your questions about your setting.
The course takes place over 4 days.
What does the training cover?
- Learn how to teach the skills, concepts, and code knowledge students need to master in order to become competent readers, writers, and spellers.
- Discover how to introduce them to the Initial Code in the first year of school, moving from CVC words to words with a progressively more complex structure, and then transitioning to learning the Extended Code, alongside polysyllabic words in Y1.
- Learn how to teach all the different Sounds-Write lessons (or activity types), and have ample opportunity to practice them yourself.
- Find out how to teach Sounds-Write to groups of different sizes, so you can work with the whole class, small intervention groups, or one-to-one.
- Learn how to teach through errors—one of the cornerstones of the Sounds-Write approach—and how to conduct formative assessment and use differentiation as an integral part of your teaching.
- Understand how to use diagnostic tools to determine where new students should start the programme.
Department of Education Office
4/209 Bolsover St, Rockhampton 4700
- 4 day training course.
- Course manual; contains all the lesson scripts, word and sentence lists and texts needed to teach the programme from Prep all the way up.
- Certificate of Completion; There is a compulsory assessment component to be completed within a month from the course end date. This is required to receive your certificate of completion to become a certified Sounds-Write practitioner.
- Lifetime access to the Sounds-Write Practitioners' Portal; contains additional downloadable resources and documents.
- Light lunch provided each day. (Please provide your menu preference of vegetarian, gluten free or dairy free on registration. Catering preferences cannot be changed with less than 7 days notice of course start date. We may not be able to cater for specific allergies/dietary requirements as we have set menu options with caterers)
How to register:
1. Online: Click the green 'Register Now' button below to book and pay online. (Instant confirmation but please allow 2 business days for your Tax Invoice to be emailed)
Online registration is required so participant details are captured for the enrollment and course reminder database.
If your school cannot pay online, please call our Accounts Team during business hours to discuss your individual circumstances.
1. Member rate; must be logged in with credentials to receive discount.
2. Payment is required at the time of booking to confirm your registration and is non-refundable.
3. If you are unable to attend, you may:
3.a. Opt for a Credit Note for a future course. 14 days notice is required.
3.b. Transfer your ticket to another person. 7 days notice required.
4. Non-attendance on Day 1 will incur the full registration fee.
5. Speld Qld reserves the right to cancel or reschedule an event if minimum numbers (as determined by us) are not met, or if the presenter is unable to attend. You may choose to transfer to the new event, send another attendee in your place or receive a refund.