Speld Qld offers Assistive Technology (AT) advice to schools, teachers, organisations, parents, parent groups and individuals.
What is Assistive Technology?
Assistive Technology (AT) is the hardware and software used by a student with Learning Differences which enables them to achieve their potential and beyond.
Who benefits from Assistive Technology?
Assistive Technology (AT) benefits individuals with Learning Differences such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyspraxia, memory difficulties, language disorders and auditory processing disorder. AT lightens the load for students with Learning Differences and those who support them.
What are examples of the various types of Assistive Technology?
- Phonetic Text-Prediction
- Voice Recording
- Speech Recognition
How can Assistive Technology be accessed?
- iPads and Tablets
- Kindles and eBook Readers
- Digital Voice recorders
- Reading Pens
- Recording pens
AT Settings, Software, Apps and Programs
- Simple changes can be made to the settings of iPads, tablets andsome PCs that greatly improve the learning experience of those with Learning Differences.
- Many Apps are now available that have been designed to assist those with Learning Differences.
- Specific programs have been created for PCs which assist those with Learning Differences.
- Those with Learning Differences often benefit greatly from the use of audio books and e-books.
How can Speld Qld help me with AT?
- Advisory Line : Telephone advice, generally between 5-15 minutes.
- AT iPad Consultation : A 1 hr face-to-face advice session for between 1 and 3 people.
- Student iPad Course : A six week course which assists students with using their iPads to research, take notes, form plans and to complete written tasks and presentations independently, confidently and with originality.
- AT Professional Development and Parent Information Sessions : Suitable for larger groups. Sessions are individually tailored to meet client needs. Sessions may be held at your school, workplace or at the Speld QLD office.
Printable Assistive Technology brochures
How can I find out more?
Call our Advisory Line on 07 3391 7900 to speak to an Education Advisor or an Assistive Technology Advisor or make a booking by email: email@example.com