How do I apply for an Assessment?
What happens at a Speld Qld Assessment appointment?
Prior to the appointment:
- Parents/carers are asked to forward copies of current school reports and any recent specialist reports to the psychologist.
On the day of the appointment:
- Parents/carers have an initial discussion with the psychologist to review the relevant student background information.
- The assessment is conducted one-to-one with the student and a psychologist, and:
- The assessment takes approximately four hours to complete.
- Parents/carers may occasionally be required to be present for the full assessment.
- Parents/carers must always be contactable for the duration of the assessment.
- Students are presented with a range of short cognitive and academic exercises to give a profile of their learning strengths and weaknesses.
- Students can take breaks as needed and parents are required to bring a drink and some light snacks for their child.
- After the assessment, the psychologist gives the parent an informal summary of the assessment session.
After the appointment:
- Parents/carers will receive the full assessment report, findings and recommendations.
- Parents/carers are encouraged to contact the psychologist after reading the report, to discuss any questions they may have.
How will a Speld Qld Assessment report help my child?
A written report is forwarded to the parents/carers within four to six weeks of the assessment. Parents/carers are encouraged to discuss the student's report and recommendations with the school. Speld Qld reports include:
- A list of standardised and diagnostic assessment items used.
- An analysis of the student's academic strengths and weaknesses, including age equivalent scores and percentiles.
- Practical recommendations to assist parents and teachers to provide targeted learning strategies for the student.
- Details of suitable resources to support the student's learning.
- For psychoeducational assessments - a diagnosis of a specific learning disorder if the client meets the criteria.
What is the cost of a Speld Qld Assessment?
Please refer to our Assessment Fees and Charges page for the list of current services and fees.
What is a family membership?
A family membership covers an individual and their immediate family members residing in the same household.
I only need an individual membership. Which category do I choose?
An individual signing up for a membership would choose a family membership.
I am a teacher. How do I find out if my school is a current member?
Many schools maintain a database of organisations that they are members of. If your schools Administration Team or Learning Support Team (or equivalent) do not know if they have subscribed to Speld Qld, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your enquiry.
I am a teacher and my school is a member. Can I access the Assessment Service or Specialist Teacher Referral Service for my own child?
Parents and carers wanting to access these services are required to hold a current family membership. While we recognise that you are covered under your employer’s membership, your child/family is not.
But don’t forget, your family will be signed up to receive all of the other membership benefits too!
How do I find a tutor for my child?
Speld Qld maintains a register of qualified specialist Teachers and Tutors who provide individual tutoring for children and adults across Queensland.
Only Financial Members can access the Speld Specialist Teacher Register. Here you can search and connect with one of our Speld Specialist Teachers/Tutors directly by email or telephone.
Do I have to be a member to register for an event or workshop?
Yes, if you would like to register for an event you must sign up to be a member.
- It is free to join as a guest member.
- Financial members receive a discount on workshop fees, so you may wish to consider joining as an individual/family member first which will unlock member prices.
I have logged in as a member. Why is the non-member price showing?
The non-member price shows for anyone who has registered for a 'free/guest' membership.
If you would like to upgrade your membership to receive the members price, please update your membership in the 'Manage Membership' section of your member homepage.
Purchasing / Shop
Why can't I order Dandelion Readers online?
Speld Qld has a distribution agreement with the Queensland supplier of Dandelion Readers, Phonics Australia. Under this agreement, all sales placed with Speld Qld need to be on an approved Dandelion Readers Order Form. Unfortunately, that order form is not online.
We appreciate you using the correct form when placing your order for Dandelion Readers.
Can I ring your office to place an order?
If possible we prefer for orders to go through the online shop on the Speld Qld website. If you are having difficulties, you can ring the office during office hours to place and pay for your order over the phone.
How long will my order take to be processed?
We aim to process all orders within 3 working days. If your items are in stock they will be mailed out to you within this time.
If an item is not in stock and is on backorder, you will be notified of this on your Tax Invoice. Backorders could take a further 2 weeks to be processed and we appreciate your patience during this time.
All packages are sent via Australia Post and are dependent on their delivery times.
All mail is posted on Tuesday's only.