9:00am, 6th Sep 2023 - 3:00pm, 6th Sep 2023
Implementing PLD in the Junior Primary
O'Shea Centre, 19 Lovedale Street Wilston Qld 4051
$170.00 Members | $195.00 Non-Members | $160.00 Specialist Teacher
Seminar One: Implementing PLD in the Junior Primary (Preparatory, Year 1 & Year 2)
This full-day seminar provides educators working within Preparatory, Year 1 & 2 with the knowledge and tools required to explicitly target pre-literacy and early literacy in a systematic fashion. This seminar explains the implementation of PLD’s structured synthetic phonics programs (SSP) within the Foundation year. It outlines PLD’s targeted teaching and the associated tracking and reporting of skill development. The implementation of this preventative program aims to set up young learners for success in their literacy acquisition.
Each attendee will receive a complimentary copy of PLD’s scope and sequence for Preparatory to Year 6. This is PLD’s best-selling resource ‘Phonic and Sight Word Sequence‘ and is valued at over $70.00. This resource is central to establishing a whole school approach and consistency across year levels and across classrooms. It provides phonic concepts for Reception to Year 6 along with phonemic (and phonological awareness) skills, spelling rules, spelling words, high-frequency words, placement tests, term reviews, guidelines for explicit teaching, and screening options which can then be plotted onto Excel/Google tracking sheets. The Phonic and Sight Word Sequence book can be viewed in full online by clicking on the link and then the cover.
PLD’s structured synthetic phonics (SSP) approach is one of the evidence-based approaches recommended by AUSPELD. These full-day seminars outline the explicit instruction of phonics, decoding and spelling along with time-efficient tracking of student performance that informs the targeted teaching.
Created to have a broad appeal, these seminars are relevant to all primary school staff involved in literacy learning: School leaders, Literacy Coordinators, Literacy Support Staff, Preparatory – Year 6 teachers, and assistants. The outcomes for the day have been divided into different areas highlighting the key areas addressed for each person registering.
About the presenter:
Caitlin Brandt (Ba Ed, Early Childhood)
Educator and QLD Schools Manager at PLD.
Caitlin is an educational leader who has experience in leading and implementing PLD at a classroom, school and regional level. She has been a teacher, coach, literacy mentor, and deputy principal demonstrating her knowledge and expertise in a variety of roles. Caitlin was the QLD teacher delegate for the recent Australian Curriculum review for English and has worked in many different school settings from small schools to large P-12 schools. Caitlin’s area of expertise is teaching children to read and write using explicit teaching strategies and the use of evidence-based programs.
How to register:
1. Online: Click the green 'Register Now' button below to book and pay online. (Instant confirmation)
- Online registration is required so participant details are captured for the enrollment and course reminder database.
- You may be prompted to create a Guest Profile if you do not already have one.
- A payment receipt will be emailed straight away, but please allow 2 business days for your Tax Invoice to be emailed.
- Please provide your menu preference of vegetarian, gluten free or dairy free on registration. Catering preferences cannot be changed with less than 7 days notice of course start date.
1. Specialist Teacher price refers to Speld Qld Specialist Teacher Members only. Must be logged in with credentials to receive discount.
2. Payment is required at the time of booking in order to secure attendance and is not refundable. (Except where course has been cancelled by Speld Qld Inc)
3. Requests for cancellation will be invited to re-register for another session with available places. (Fee difference may apply for later courses, if course fee has increased. 14 days notice required)